• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JasonK14

What is the name of your state? OH

I received $5K last December and $5K in June from my employer for Tuition Reimbursement.
In the Employee Handbook it states: "...if an employee voluntarily separates from XXX's employment within one year of the last educational assistance payment, the amount of the payment will be considered only a loan. Accordingly, the employee will be required to repay up to one hundred percent of the original educational assistance payment."

I signed a form that states I have read the handbook, but that form contains the following: "I acknowledge that this handbook is neither a contract of employment nor a legal document."

The only other paperwork I signed was requesting the reimbursement - those forms detailed the classes I took, the grades I received and the cost of the classes.

I just gave my two weeks notice last Thursday, today they informed me of their desire to collect the full $10K.

What are my obligations? Do they have legal standing to collect any or all of it? I "estimated" an amount that I would owe them based on prorating the two amounts and not taking the vacation pay that is owed to me, so I plan on giving something back, but if they fight that I am curious as to what my absolute legal obligation is.

Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your obligation is to adhere to the agreement you signed.

If you want to know how enforceable the agreement is, you will need to show ALL the relevant documentation to a local attorney. We cannot assess the enforceability of an agreement we have not read.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">