• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition reimbursement question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

canman23

What is the name of your state? Indiana.

Here is my question.
I work for a city police department and in our benefits and also in our city ordinance it clearly says we have college tuition reimbursement. I submitted a request to return to college using this benefit. I was denied the request and was told that it is no longer a benefit to me. Other officers have also been denied this benefit. We (city employees) have not received any official notification about this change; this benefit is still on the city ordnance and it is also printed on flyers that are given to people that want to get hired by the city I work for. Is this legal? Can the city council just take a benefit away without notifying its employees? They have not removed this from ordinance and no vote to my knowledge has ever been taken on this issue. Any suggestions on this matter would be much appreciated.

ecmst12

If your employment and benefits are governed by this ordinence, I would think that they have to follow the law to the letter, but I could be wrong. What did they say when you presented them with a copy of the ordinence stating you were entitled to this benefit?

canman23

ecmst12 said:
If your employment and benefits are governed by this ordinence, I would think that they have to follow the law to the letter, but I could be wrong. What did they say when you presented them with a copy of the ordinence stating you were entitled to this benefit?
It was simple. They said you no longer have this benefit and your request is denied.

mb94

Without seeing the exact wording of the ordinence we can't tell you exactly why you are being denied. But I know that in my own city the tuition reimbursment is only offered to new hires who are already taking college classes or have recently graduated. Can you ask the HR people under what situations the tuition reimbursment could be given?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">