• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Goofyjas

What is the name of your state? IL

I was wondering about a form I have for tuision, it stats that between 5250 - 12000 the employee has to stay for the remainder of the year + 1 calendar year, over 12000 the employee has to stay for the remainder of that year + 2 calender years.

How true is that? Is there anyway out of that besides paying it back? What would happen if I just left and didnt repay the money?
Last Q I think.. So the note states that if I go over the 12000 I have to stay employeed there for 2+ years like it or not? What if they hold you back from advancing?

thanks in advance!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether or not the agreement is enforceable is something only an attorney in your state can say for certain.

No one is stopping you from advancing. You have the option of repaying the money if you want to leave.

I'm not quite sure why so many people assume that it's fair for the employer to pay their tuition (something that benefits the employee even after they've left that employer) but that it's unfair for the employer to expect the employee to hang around long enough for the employer to get some value from the investment.

Goofyjas

The Company is stopping me from advancing, why I want to leave. I am not saying it is fair to leave and not pay it back or its not right for them to want you to stay. When I started going to school I looked at where I could move within the company, now a new supervisor is head of the dept I need to move to next and will ONLY hire from the outside, people with less qualifications and a lower degree are coming in interviewing and I am sitting here after I wasted my time in school unable to apply for the job, or when I do apply nothing happens.

Does anyone know of a attorney in Il I could ask?
thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is a Find A Lawyer section elsewhere on this site. We do not give specific referrals on the boards.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">