• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pogo

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am considering using my company's tuition reimbursement program. The program requires signing a document with the following statement:

"I agree that upon receipt of tuition reimbursement I will remain with X company for a period of one year after the completion of the listed course and for two years after completion of an associate, undergraduate or graduate degree program"

I have no problem with having to repay tuition reimbursement if I leave the company. However, that isn't even mentioned. I have the following questions;

1) What liabilities am I exposing myself to (other than refunding the reimbursement) if I sign this document ?

2) I heard that a company cannot limit an employee from seeking employment elsewhere (except for non-competition agreements). Is this even legal ?

3) I read the statement as saying that I can take all but the final course of a degree program and be required to be employed for one year. Upon taking the final course (thus completing the degree program) then I would be required to be employed for two years. What if I pay for the final course myself ? What if I am employed elsewhere when I take the final course ?

Thanks in advance!

eerelations

Slavery/indentured servitude is illegal in the US (and many other places in the world, too). All your company can do is sue you for the tuition fees it paid while you were in its employ, if you leave (for any reason, it seems) before the specified time periods have expired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">