• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition reimbursement questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lanyer02

What is the name of your state? PA

I am resigning a position with my company. I have received tuition assistance for 75% of a graduate certificate program, of which 50% of the coursework is completed.

The company has no written tuition assistance policy in its employee handbook, and there is no written contract. A discussion in advance did suggest that I would be expected to remain in full time employment with the company for a specified period of time upon completion or have to repay the assistance. No other specifics were mentioned (repayment terms, actions in the event of noncompletion of the program, etc). Part (not all) of my dissatisfaction is that since I entered the program, the company can now be reimbursed for services I would be able to provide upon gaining certification at a considerable rate. In order for this to occur, I would have to be moved into another position in another part of the company, doing something entirely different than what I now do. This was never discussed in advance, but I have been advised that is going to happen upon completion. The opportunity for this extra consideration did not even exist at the time I started the program. Again, this is only part of the reason I plan to move on, so I do not want to enter into a negotiation over the change of position.

I assume that a court would consider my acceptance of the TA to be an implied contract, however, the absence of criteria leaves room for negotiating terms. Nothing was mentioned about provisions if I did not successfuly complete the program. Does an enforceable contract exist? If so, what is an acceptable repayment schedule? Should I seek to be credited for the time I worked for the company while in the program?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">