• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tuition reimbursement repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

donn91

What is the name of your state? CT

I participated in an employee tution reimbursement in which the policy states that I must repay tuituion for the past 12 months if i choose to leave before one year after graduation. I left 4 months after graduation, however there were circumstances that I felt forced me to leave could you please let me know if i have a case.

First, there were zero opportunities for me within the company. i was told i had to network for a different position but my position had no exposure and I had no contacts. Then i was cross training within my deprtment which did have exposure but I had a hostile encounter with the person training me in which he was 100% at fault and he theatened my life verbally over the phone, the company did noting but ask him questions on the matter. As a result I was told to just stay away from him , this made me very uncomfortable and also cut off any chances of me networking. i decided at the time not to take legal action because I decided i wanted to stick it out and suck it up, finish shcool and look within for a new opportunity. However i did not realize that I would have zero opportunity and that exposure that i had when training might of been the only chance of me moving internally which was cut off by this person threatening me in which nothing was done by the company. Also, I was told thet they recruit MBA's from only select schools in which my school was not one of them. Do I have a case in fighting the amount of 6k that they are asking me to pay them and should or could I still consider legal action for the harrasment that I encountered while i was there, I left the company in Aril 2005

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You will have to show the agreement to a local attorney. We cannot interpet a document we have not read.

donn91

well, the agreement is clear in the sense that if you leave by choice you will have to repay the previous 12 months of tuition that was paid to you

my question lies in, do i have a case in fighting it considering the harassment situation I encountered and the lack of opportunity and mobility within the company as well as the recruitment from only a few selected universities

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Donn, what part of "we can't interpret a document we haven't read" do you not understand?

How the heck do you expect me to tell you if you have any grounds to fight it when I HAVEN"T READ WHAT THE DOCUMENT SAYS???

donn91

ok let me try it this way , if in fact I am liable for the tuition repayment and they are unwilling to forgive the bill , can I then pursue legal action regarding the harrassment situation that took place a year ago?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing in your post suggests that you can take any legal action. What you describe, while it should not have happened, does not meet the definition of illegal harasssment.

donn91

what if anything could i try to suggest that i did not voluntarily leave but instead felt forced due to the circumstances or felt that i had no other option

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">