• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement Repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

binarysins

I have seen several threads on this, and they didn't really give me what I want.

I work in CA, my company is based in NJ.

I just recently took a new job, which my employer did not counter offer because they can't (the new offer was a much larger salary). I have received @$6K in tuition reimbursement. Here is the portion of the agreement:

Additionally, if I voluntarily leave my employment with Company or my employment is terminated by Company for performance reasons within twenty-four (24) months of the date I complete the course(s), I agree to repay to Company a portion of the gross amount of the total of tuition assistance paid to me or to a third party on my behalf. This repayment amount will be calculated by dividing the total amount paid by 24, and multiplying this by 24 minus the number of complete months between the date I complete the course or the degree, whichever is later, and the date my employment ends.

Upon my resignation or termination of my employment for performance reasons within the twenty-four (24) month period described above, I authorize Company to deduct this repayment from any monies owed to me including my paycheck, payment for vacation earned but not taken, notice pay or severance pay. I further agree to be fully liable for
any unpaid balance due Company including collection fees and attorney’s costs, if any, incurred by Company in obtaining repayment.

I understand that my acceptance and agreement to these repayment terms does not guarantee that Company will provide employment to me for any specific time period from the payment receipt date covered by this Agreement. I also understand that Company cannot give me advice about the tax implications, if any, connected with this payment. I acknowledge that I have been advised to consult my own tax advisor.
I have heard through the grapevine here that they cannot actually enforce this in California. Several people have left, and blown off the repayment, and nothing has happened yet. Is this actually the case?What is the name of your state?

cybernet00

Depends

At my current job if an employee leaves who has used our tuition reimbursement with in the last 12 months, a letter is sent to them showing the agreement they signed and stating how much they have to pay. If they do not make contact to set up a payment schedule or send payment then it is sent to a collection agency.

fairisfair

At my current job if an employee leaves who has used our tuition reimbursement with in the last 12 months, a letter is sent to them showing the agreement they signed and stating how much they have to pay. If they do not make contact to set up a payment schedule or send payment then it is sent to a collection agency.
and now cybernet, if you will kindly answer Mlane's question, please, just what exactly was your point?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">