• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kdt1234

What is the name of your state? NC

I used my company's tuition reimbursment plan and got my final payment from the company May of 2004. In the Reimbursment Plan for the company it says that if you voluntarily leave the within 24 months, you have to pay any payments received during the last 24 months or the maximum allowable by law. Is there a maximum allowable that they can take back? Do companies normally ask for repayment? Within that 24 month period, I received just under $10,000. In the next 3 months, $4400 of that will drop off. Are the required to do some sort of prorating? I am thinking about accepting an offer from another company.

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, nothing in the law requires them to prorate the amount of your payback. Yes, it is quite common for employers who pay for an employee's education, to request payback if the employee leaves taking the benefit of that education with them.

If you want to know how enforceable the agreement is, you will have to show it to a local attorney.

carrke66

If you already have your next job, and you aren't concerned about HOW you leave, you can just force them to fire you. I did this to "wiggle" out of repaying almost $8,000 in tuition. Granted this isn't legal advice, but in my case, they couldn't fore repayment if they fired me.

Raz49

Communicate!

Go talk with your employer. In many cases I've seen, this can be resolved via a conversation. They're not really interested in recouping the money, but they don't want to fund everyone's education either. If they're a decent company you might find them willing to pass on the repayment. My wife did this a couple of years ago, and everyone walked away happy.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Um, in case no one's noticed, the original post was from back in March. It's unlikely that the OP is still coming back looking for answers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">