• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PManning

What is the name of your state? PA

I entered into the educational grant program at my place of employment a few years ago. The educational grant program covered individual classes as well as degree programs. It said that if one applies for a class or a degree program, the corporation will pay for it 100% with NO ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS. This was known by all in the company. When I entered the program, the terms were that in place were written to apply to how one enters the program, how one will continue in the program and how one will finish the program. The requirements were as follows:

1. To Enter the degree program: complete an application for degree program which is to be approved by a supervisor. I did this.

2. To Continue the degree program: Issue a grade report for each semester. Period. I did this.

3. To complete the degree program: Send a copy of the diploma. I did this.

Both my company and I signed and agreed to these terms.

The problem is, with a few semesters left, the policies were changed to favor the corporation a little more. A few notables:

1. When leaving within 1 year of taking a class, 100% of the money for the year prior to termination must be reimbursed.

2. An employee MUST sign the new forms or else he/she cannot continue in the program.

Hence, because I did not terminate my education, the company is demanding I return money if I leave within a year.

The new forms in 2. do not explicitly refer to the new policies. In addition the new policies never call out that an agreement in progress is null and void.

I'm asking if I have any argument for a "grandfather clause" here to eliminate obligation to return money. I have two arguments:

1. My argument is that I was presented with a set of terms applying to a degree program in its entirety, then the company retracted the original agreement threatening to end the grant program if I didn't sign the new forms. There were no other forms available for me to sign.

As some background, the original forms were filled out each semester so that reimbursement could follow the billing cycle of the university. They in no way stated that by signing them, I agree to the latest, or any, policy. However, the new forms do say that by signing I have agreed to "the terms on educational grant reimbursement". Period. It may be semantics but they do not explicitly call out the current terms. I did agree to the terms on educational grant reimbursement that were in effect when I applied to the program so don't they apply?

2. Should the old terms not be the terms that follow me throughout my program? After all, every requirement for obtaining grants for the duration of my degree program was presented and agreed upon by both parties when I began my degree program.

Thoughts?

PManning

Any input here is appreciated guys...

If I'm screwed, please let me know.

If it's one where you cannot comment on a contract you haven't read, please let me know.

I've been seeing that most of you think an employer can change their benefits policies on a whim, but I feel here that I was mislead into believing they would pay for my degree.

Please, your input is needed.

PManning

Thank you.

A question of debt collection practices, then. I am in PA and I have found that it is illegal for a collection agency to charge interest or fees not explicitly allowed in the contract creating the debt. Nothing in the contract I signed approaches collection fees or interest in the event my account is submitted to a collection agency. Will I be obligated to pay any fees/interest to the COLLECTION AGENCY resulting from this type of action? What about payment from my ex-employer to the collection agency for their services?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">