• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tuition reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LindInMoskva

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? VA

I took about $7225 worth of tuition reimbursement that I had agreed to repay should I leave the company within 12 months. I am leaving, on my own accord, but I don't have the money to repay. Do I have to repay all of the money right away, or do I have any legal way to request a repayment schedule? Can a company force you to write them a check (not dock wages from an existing paycheck) when you voluntarily leave? What if you just don't have the money?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do I have to repay all of the money right away,

That's up to your employer.

or do I have any legal way to request a repayment schedule?

There's nothing in the law that stops you from asking, but there's also nothing in the law that requires your employer to provide one, either.

Can a company force you to write them a check (not dock wages from an existing paycheck) when you voluntarily leave?

In the sense that no one's holding a gun to your head, no. But if you signed an agreement to repay the money, then in 999 cases out of 1000 you owe that money and they have a legal right to demand payment.

What if you just don't have the money?

Then on your own head be the decision to leave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">