• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

winner_texas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I received Tuition reimbursement from my company and signed a contract which mentioned that I would have to stay with the company for 1 year after the graduation. I graduate in 2010 and contract asks me to stay until 2011.

However, I have found a much better opportunity where I can use my skills more. I have really good terms with my current company and do not want to burn any bridges.

The contract does not mention anything about the way to make the payments if I leave the company. It asks me to pay back a certain amount, lets say its USD 10000. However, it doesnt say if I need to pay that back in lumpsum or monthly payments.

Talking to my other colleagues from school, it seems like typically companies will forgive the tuition reimbursement because of several reasons. If my company declines to forgive it, can I make monthly payments. Will I have a strong case because the contract does not mention anything about the way to make the payments back.

Thanks in advance for your help

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can make monthly payments if the employer agrees to allow you to make it in monthly payments.

How "strong" a case you have to force them to allow it depends on the judge you get when they sue you.

Consult local counsel.

swalsh411

Per Texas law they cannot take it out of your paycheck without express written authorization. If you don't pay them then can sue you and may or may not win depending on the strength of the agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">