• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ms jr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I work for a public health care system which has a Registered Nursing (RN) program for hospital employees wishing to pursue careers in nursing.

For the past three years, I have been working hard, taking their required classes and tests while working full time. Earlier this month, I was informed that I will not be allowed to start the program next month due to a technicality.

They are also refusing to reimburse me for books and tuition.

They are totally discriminating against me and I need legal assistance. Please help. Thank you.

swalsh411

If you have an agreement with them to reimburse you for certain expenses that you have already incurred (under the assumption that the agreement would be honored) then you may be able to sue them in small claims court. The employer is under no legal obligation to continue paying for your schooling unless you can prove they are stopping it because you are a member of a protected class.

It's possible there are budget concerns, or they don't consider you an employee worthy of the investment, or the don't think the classes are any good, or any number of perfectly legal reasons they may choose to no longer pay for your classes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">