• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursment contract - What do I really owe?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

s0ad

New York

Hello,

I originally signed a contract for tuition reimbursement when I started my job. I started on 6/10/12. The agreement in the signed contract states:

"The hospital hereby agrees to provide tuition forgiveness to the employee in the amount up to 10k payable in 52 equal payments over 2 years. etc, etc. If the employee does not meet the program requirements, the employee may be required to reimburse the hospital for payments made.

- In exchange for the tuition forgiveness the employee agrees to work for the hospital for at least 3 years following commencement of tuition forgiveness payments.

- Employees who do not meet the obligation of this agreement will be liable to repay the hospital for tuition forgiveness monies according the the following:

1. Terminate while receiving tuition forgiveness payments: Total amount of forgiveness payments must be refunded to hospital
2. Terminate within one year after repayment is completed: 50% of repayment monies must be refunded
3. Terminate more than one year after repayment is completed: No repayment requires - employee has fulfilled obligation.

As of 11/1/13 I asked to stop my contract. At that point I was paid $6,730 total. I interpret the above as if you work less than 2 years, you owe all monies, if you work 2 - 3 years you owe 5k of the 10k back (so in my case I thought this would be $1730 - since I did not take the full 10k). If you work 3+ years, you keep the 10k.

I tried to clarify with human resources, and the woman stated that all of the money (6730) would need to be returned if I ended my job before 3 years. As of now I have been working for 2 years and a month. I further asked for clarification - however I stopped receiving responses. I would like to leave my current employer but do not want to owe nearly $7,000. To me, it seems as if clause 2 makes it so I only owe half, but perhaps I am not understanding correctly.

Thanks for any and all help!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I do not interpret it the same way you do. You were still in the first two years; you owe the whole thing back. That is clearly defined in item 1.

s0ad

I just find the second point confusing then. What is the point of having that part about owing 50% back if within a year after the repayment? I guess that is the portion I am confused about.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In what universe does June of 2012 to November of 2013 constitute over two years?

os478

In what universe does June of 2012 to November of 2013 constitute over two years?
I made the assumption that the OP is still working at that particular company based on the opening post:

"As of now I have been working for 2 years and a month."

OP stopped the contract for reimbursement, but continued employment another ~7 months after it had stopped. Is the time set by when they requested to stop the contract or when they leave the employer?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I started on 6/10/12.

As of 11/1/13 I asked to stop my contract.

Nowhere does that constitute over 2 years.

os478

I interpreted OPs post to be that they requested to stop receiving reimbursement in November, but continued to work there.

It seems odd to me this would be the case, though, unless OP was almost certain that they'd be leaving before the 2 years were up.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">