• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mludke

What is the name of your state? Arizona

During my employment with a previous employer the tuition reimbursement policy was updated to include verbage to the effect that if you leave employment within one year of receiving tuition reimbursement you must repay it upon termination.

I resigned and at that time the organization did not try to collect. Now, one month later they have asked that I repay the amount.

Other facts:

I did not sign any type of agreement that I would repay in the event I terminated employment. In addition, the policy was not distributed to employees, but was posted on the intranet and there was no effort to ensure employees received or read it.

My question is, do I have to repay?

If so, must I provide the entire lump sum (that is what the policy asks for), or can I enter into an agreement to repay over time? (Good faith effort....)

Thanks for any advice!

Mludke

Beth3

Yes, you probably have to repay. An employer is free to change their policies any time they like. If you choose not to repay the tuition money, then you'll just need to wait and see if the employer decides to file suit (probably in small claims court) for the money.

Whether the employer will accept a repayment plan is something you need to negotiate directly with them.

mludke

Thanks. One other thing.... The policy states repayment must take place "at the time of separation" They are trying to collect over a month after separation. Do you think that matters?

Mludke

weenor

mludke said:
Thanks. One other thing.... The policy states repayment must take place "at the time of separation" They are trying to collect over a month after separation. Do you think that matters?

Mludke
No it was your responsibility to pay upon separation, you did not, now they are trying to collect per the contract. The only thing that would apply as far as time is the statute of limitations.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
...and the statute of limitations will be longer than one month, trust me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">