• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkassimer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I signed a tuition reimbursement form saying I would need to payback any amount the company (Allegheny Power) gave me for tuition in the past year if I resigned or was terminated. That was in January of 2007. March of this year, they informed about 200 employees that if they wanted to keep their job, they would have to report to Fairmont, WV instead of Greensburg, PA, about 100 miles apart. I left the company recently due to the fact I cannot move due to family issues and will not travel 200 miles a day. They are now asking for a little of $6,000 back. My argument is that I would have never been part of the tuition payback program had I known they would move my job almost 100 miles away. I did sign the form so I am pretty sure I am screwed here but wanted to see if the fact that they are moving my position so far away affect this at all. Thanks for any help and advice

dkassimer

I meant 'ask for a little OVER $6,000"

There is not much detail in the wording:

"If employee is terminated or resigns, all payments made by the Company to the employee within the past year will be owed to the Company"

Would the company turn it over to a collection agency if I chose not to pay them?

Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry, the FA crystal ball is out for repairs. We have no way of knowing what a third party would do in a hypothetical situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">