• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Turning in an employer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baryfan

South Carolina

How can I go about having an employer investigated for possible theft from his own employees? Once cash drawers are taken into the office and counted, we never see them again. More times that not, there are "supposed" shortages anywhere from $10.00 up to $150.00. Some employees have been there 40+ years and these shortages are taken out of our pay. They have cameras all over the place, so if it was the employee...they should be able to check the video, but they never do. I started asking questions about it all and was suddenly "fired" for a minor infraction. Now I want to find a way to figure out if it is the owners. SCDOL is no help...I already asked them. I also asked the Attorney General, but they only deal with larger issues. So....what's the next step??

pattytx

It's not a "theft" issue as much as it is a possible unallowed deduction issue, for which the employees have legal recourse with the state and/or federal DOL.

Have you ever signed anything agreeing to such a pay deduction under these circumstances?

Federal law provides that a deduction for the "benefit of the employer" cannot take the employee below minimum wage.

I'd start by contacting the state DOL regarding the possibility of filing a complaint. Note this would not be a general complaint but relative to a particular paycheck or paychecks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">