• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Turning off the cable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

softy515

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I have a tenant in a property that I got when my father passed away. Gave him notice to vacate by march 31.

It is a mobile home park and the cable is 'bulk cable' in that the owner of each lot pays for the year, due April 1. I have no intention of getting cable as I don't watch TV and will be using the mobile home for weekends/vacations.

IF by some chance the current tenant does not leave when he is suppose to, can he hold that against me if the cable is shut off on April 1? I know I can't just turn off essential things like electric/water/gas but assume cable is far from essential.

I do not know the in's and out's of being a landlord and probably won't be renting out the property until I have had time to study all involved. Just from reading on this forum, it is scary the situations LL's (and tenants) deal with.

Thanks in advance.

strongbus

Do you have a writing lease with the tenant or is he month to month?

If you have a lease a few things. 1. you can't evict him till it runs out or if he breaks the lease. 2. If the cable is part of the lease and you shut it off then you could be in trouble for breaking the lease.

If hes month to month then that is a different ball game and depending on your state laws is how you want to go. I will let someone with more info on your state give you that info.

FarmerJ

If you can opt out of catv I would say to learn what kind of notice you must give to the park to have it shut off and if you are able to have it shut off after the tenant is gone that would be the best thing then should you re rent it again you can have your lease state catv is not included and if tenant wishes to have it they must prepay it etc etc . BTW whats the due date for payment?

Last edited:

xylene

Unless the agreement specifies cable, then you are free to discontinue the cable.

You are imagining a hold over which probably won't happen by the way.

softy515

He is month to month, no written lease. I actually don't know if he paid for the cable or if my Dad did. Regardless, he is suppose to vacate by march 31 which is the exact date the HMO needs to have payment if I want to continue having cable. I don't want it. I would have to pay for the whole year in one shot. Granted, it is dirt cheap as far as cable goes but I don't care. I won't use it and have no intention of renting it in this coming year. If I would decide to rent, I would make the tenant pay to have it turned on.

Xylene, what is a hold over?

If the tenant does leave by 3-31, I won't have anything to worry about. If he stays, well, I will be back here asking what to do next. :rolleyes:

FarmerJ

hold over = someone who overstays proper notice to get out. btw this tenant is not going to pay the bill them self even if they had in the past now that they know you want them out. As far as you paying it , well if you do not since the tenant has no written lease it may not be a problem if your willing to chance it and just not pay for the next year. I know its not a essential service like water an elect so hopefully the tenant just leaves by the time they are supposed to and then its done with.

Last edited:

softy515

Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, hopefully that is exactly what happens. He does seem very agreeable so time will tell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">