• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tv show concept

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

den0704

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Hi. I've been working on the concept for tv show and doing my research found out that show with similar concept and the same name had been produced and aired in United Kingdom for 2 seasons before it was canceled last year. Can i still use the same name for the show and similar concept in USA. If not what other options do i have? Please help.
Thank you.

divgradcurl

den0704 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Hi. I've been working on the concept for tv show and doing my research found out that show with similar concept and the same name had been produced and aired in United Kingdom for 2 seasons before it was canceled last year. Can i still use the same name for the show and similar concept in USA. If not what other options do i have? Please help.
Thank you.
Whether you can use the similar concept and name will depend on all of the specific facts of your situation, and will also depends on what IP rights, if any, the UK company has in their show. UK copyrights (as are virtually all foreign copyrights) are enforceable in U.S. courts; however, UK patents and trademarks are NOT enforceable in U.S. courts, so unless the UK company has registered trademarks (maybe) or patents (highly unlikely) in the U.S., they can't enforce any rights other than copyrights against conduct the occurs in the U.S.

You may want to take all of the stuff you have developed and all of the stuff you have come up with on the UK show down to a local attorney with experience in copyright and IP, who can review all of the relevant facts and advise you accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">