• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Twists n turns and bumps along the way down a winding road involving civil rights violation committed against me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDuPont

What is the name of your state? New York

This ones long and complicated but easy to figure out about a nitemare nobody should have to endure..

One night I was sleeping and the Town came to my apartment with two police officers waking me out of a sound sleep telling me that the house Im living in is uninhabitable and that I needed to leave the house immediately or face arrest for non-compliance.

I told them that they must have the wrong address and showed them my perfectly painted and very clean apartment;-even the yard and my cars n trucks were clean too.

They just said it all looks nice but its no mistake grab your keys the electric company is coming to cut the power and then the home is being boarded up and that Id be given a time at a later date to have the home reopened to let me get my belongings.

I told the cops they had no rights doing what they were doing and I wasn't given any court papers and the home wasn't in foreclosure or anything and that I wanted a field sergeant to tell me what was happening was legit..The cops said the field officer is busy in the field and to call the precinct in the morning.

I even told the cops I work and even have Homeland security clearance and they laughed...

Next morning I called the precinct and got the runaround and they wouldn't take my complaint about a corrupt town with aid of two rookie police who cant possibly know anything about house seizure law and its procedures.

4 days later I discovered all my valuables and my cousins valuables as he lived there too were stolen from the home as they broke in through the basement.The police once again wouldn't take a report unless we had proof we left the stuff there that night..

I made complaints with the DA's office Internal affairs,the governor also the FBI.All said it was a case that's too complicated to prove without rock solid proof to start an investigation...I thought the purpose of making a complaint was to have the incident and people involved investigated and questioned?

I even contacted many lawyers aswell as free law services and HUD also Fair housing division too right after being tossed in the street like garbage.Nobody wanted to help and wished me luck.

Two years goes by and the Town was found to be corrupt for discrimination stating homes were being illegally seized to raise the quality of living within the village.Those wronged were awarded money for their troubles meanwhile nobody contacted me about the lawsuit.

Now fast forwards a half a year more and I run across the article proving my allegations about Town Corruption and was told even though I made the initial complaint 3.5 years ago about my civil rights being violated with-in days of the violation that Im not viable to receive any compensation for being wronged even though I followed initial procedures to enact a case that at the time I was told was a pretty complicated case but that complicated case was proven in a court of law by Joseph Rice co-director of Fair Housing and even that guy wont take my calls or answer my emails.

Like I stated I contacted the DA's office and the Gov's office aswell and hold hope that they remember and can pull up the emails with the allegations I made 3.5 years ago which cant be too hard to forget given the nature of the complaint and can vouch for the fact I made a complaint concerning a violation of my rights through a corrupt town and two rookie cops with-in numerous divisions and all my complaints were discriminated against by not even being investigated and being given the determination about the case being complicated and hard to prove which it really wasn't because I had and still have picture proof that contradicted any of the towns claims the house was uninhabitable.

I recontacted all of the places I contacted 3.5 years ago and almost all are are trying to act like they don't know who I am..All except the DA's office and the Governors office.

Ive yet to re-contact the FBI which is my last resort.The state police are still giving me the run around even after I told them the impropriety has been already proven and money was paid so those involved can avoid jailtime but I want to see them behind bars and lives disrupted.

At this point I'm holding out hope the Governor will be able to get me the justice or compensation I deserve for all Ive been through and the valuables I lost.

Am I still viable for compensation for my civil rights being violated?

Would this be a case a lawyer would take now?

Last edited:

quincy

The statute of limitations for filing a complaint is 3 years in New York. You appear to have waited too long to consider legal action. Sorry.

xylene

I suggest you speak with a counselor to help you deal with your understandable pain and grief at this situation.

This is not a sitaution where the FBI would be involved. I suggest you not make last minute pleas to them or any law enforcement lest they misunderstand you and worsen your situation.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
While the time to sue under NY law may be gone, as quincy has indicated, the time to sue under federal law for federal civil rights violations has not. I suggest you promptly see a civil litigation attorney who handles civil rights claims to see if in fact you do have something to pursue at this point.

MrDuPont

While the time to sue under NY law may be gone, as quincy has indicated, the time to sue under federal law for federal civil rights violations has not. I suggest you promptly see a civil litigation attorney who handles civil rights claims to see if in fact you do have something to pursue at this point.

The statute of limitations for filing a complaint is 3 years in New York. You appear to have waited too long to consider legal action. Sorry.
Title 18 Section 242 " Deprivation of Rights Under the Color of law"..

Whats the chance of persuing that one?.. I think Im well with-in my statute of limitations on that one and pretty sure a case a lawyer would love to have......

quincy

If you believe you have a federal civil rights action to pursue, you should try to find an attorney in your area willing to help you. What you have described is too complex for a forum.

If you have difficulty interesting an attorney in what happened to you in your town 3 1/2 years ago, it potentially could be because you say you lived in an apartment in a house that was condemned. You were (presumably) not the homeowner.

This is not to say that what you say happened to you was right or legal, though. Following is a link to the New York Civil Liberties Union where you can request assistance and you can perhaps discover where you stand legally.

Before you fill out an application for assistance, however, I strongly suggest you create bullet points of just the important facts and leave out any extraneous material. If more information is needed, the ACLU will ask for it. Do not expect a speedy response.

https://www.nyclu.org/en/about/legal-assistance

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">