• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

two cars towed when I only owed money on one!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zachboy82

What is the name of your state? Texas

I got home from work today only to find a tow truck towing my roommates car that she owed money on. They didn't send her any kind of notice and also they towed her other car (nissan) even though she had already paid it off years ago. She did NOT list the nissan as collateral. is it legal for them to tow both cars?

zach

p.s. I don't know what cateogory this post should be listed under so I tried here.

JETX

zachboy82 said:
I got home from work today only to find a tow truck towing my roommates car that she owed money on. They didn't send her any kind of notice and also they towed her other car (nissan) even though she had already paid it off years ago. She did NOT list the nissan as collateral. is it legal for them to tow both cars?
Depends on who did the towing and for what!!

zachboy82

The loan company towed the car (Texas Instruments... her father helped found TI a long time ago and they help their employees with accounts and such) and they were towing her car because she missed ONE MONTHLY payment. She didn't receive any kind of notice in the mail and she did NOT list the nissan as collateral on this loan. They towed BOTH cars because she owed one moths payment on only one. What do you think?

zach

JETX

zachboy82 said:
The loan company towed the car (Texas Instruments... her father helped found TI a long time ago and they help their employees with accounts and such) and they were towing her car because she missed ONE MONTHLY payment. She didn't receive any kind of notice in the mail and she did NOT list the nissan as collateral on this loan. They towed BOTH cars because she owed one moths payment on only one. What do you think?
I think what her father might have done is NOT relevant.
There is no requirement that the lender contact her prior to them recovering their security (repossess the vehicle).
I also think that there towing the NON-security vehicle was a mistake on their part.

More importantly... what does the lender say when she asked them??

Last edited:

zachboy82

the lender states "cross collateralization". There might have been a cross collateral clause in the contract. I can understand them reposessing both cars if they were both being paid off, but the nissan was paid off completely and that contract had terminated cause of this. The Pontiac was still owed though.

zach

JETX

zachboy82 said:
the lender states "cross collateralization". There might have been a cross collateral clause in the contract. I can understand them reposessing both cars if they were both being paid off, but the nissan was paid off completely and that contract had terminated cause of this. The Pontiac was still owed though.
But if the Nissan was offered as 'co-security' on the debt, then BOTH vehicles would be recovered.

Y

ylen13

get couple of friends together, get some guns and go and get your cars back

JETX

ylen13 said:
get couple of friends together, get some guns and go and get your cars back
That might be relevant advice in the crack-filled lawless streets of your 'home hood'... but isn't relevant at all to the FACTS of this thread.

Some Random Guy

Review your loan documents carefully. If you are 100% completely sure that the nissan is nowehere in the contract and is not listed as collateral, then file a police report of a stolen vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">