• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two months into the lease we are now made aware my fiancé is not allowed? Can they do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mitch.fam10

What is the name of your state? I live in Texas. About two months ago we moved into our apartment (my fiancé, my son and I). When we signed our lease the leasing consultant did not tell us felons were not allowed to live on the property. My fiancé has 3 DWIs which the leasing consultant was aware of. The leasing office also ran our background checks and he informed us my fiancé could not be on the lease but that he would use his income (I was unemployed) bc of his criminal history but that he could still live on the property. Well, The property manager called me two days ago and informed me that my fiancé is not allowed on the property bc of his felony. I told her that we were not made aware of this and actually her leasing consultant told us he could stay here. He told us it wasn't an issue! The manager told me he should have not done that and that she would call me back to let me know what can be done. So now I am freaking out and I don't know what to do! My fiancé will be home from work in a couple days. Can they do this to us? Is this right? What should We do? Please help.

adjusterjack

This is important. Do you have any documentation at all to show that your fiancé's income was used to qualify you for the apartment? Did you fill out a form with his name, income, employment, etc? Did you keep a copy?

Is the leasing consultant an employee of the apartments?

I think you might be able to defend against the eviction of your fiancé if you can show that documentation and get the leasing consultant to admit what he told you.

Mitch.fam10

This is important. Do you have any documentation at all to show that your fiancé's income was used to qualify you for the apartment? Did you fill out a form with his name, income, employment, etc? Did you keep a copy?

***yes, when we filled out the application his employment was used including the name of the company he works for.

Is the leasing consultant an employee of the apartments?
**** Yes, the leasing consultant is an employee of this apartment complex. The property manager was upset when I told her her leasing consultant was aware of all of this. She didn't know what to say and said she would have to call me back.

I think you might be able to defend against the eviction of your fiancé if you can show that documentation and get the leasing consultant to admit what he told you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">