• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TX Ch 13 Bankruptcy & tax refunds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

astrodigger

I'm in Texas. I'm afraid that I have to file Chapter 13 bankruptcy because I'm behind and falling more behind every month. My house is homestead and I have one vehicle. If I get a plan that is affordable and I don't miss any payments to the Trustee, when it's time to do my income taxes and I get a refund, can I keep it or does it go to the Court? I was wanting buy medical and dental insurance for me and the kids since my husband was laid off some time ago, and trying to make it on 1 person's income is the pits - especially without any insurance. :(
Also is Chapter 13 easy enough to file Pro Se?

Ladynred

If you're in a Ch 13 plan, you will most likely have to turn over your tax refunds to the trustee to pay your creditors, it may depend on the amount. If you get less than $100, the trustee may not bother with it.

I wouldn't attempt a 13 Pro Se. No bankruptyc is 'easy', its all very complicated. I'd get a free consultation with a couple of attorneys and see what it would cost you, along with your options.

I'd go ahead and buy the medical/dental insurance, especially with children, its definitely a needed expense that wouldn't be questioned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">