• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TX. miranda rights of juveniles and interrogations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sandyintexas

***EDITED to please BELIZE ;) (used spell check, with hopes of getting past the spelling errors and on with the subject)

Recently my 10 yr. old son was taken from class, place (by school counselor) into her office with a ISD law enforcement officer and left alone for questioning.
My questions are: (In the state of Texas)
Doesn't someone (magistrate/parent etc...) need to be present with my son?
Could it be considered that my son was in "custody"...not feeling he had the right to leave the office?
Should he have been read his "Miranda" rights?
And last.... can written statement made before the principle be used in a court of law against him?

Your help, referal to specific laws and advise are appreciated.

Sandy in Texas

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Sandyintexas said:
Recently my 10 yr. old son was taken from class, place (by school counselor) into her office with a ISD law enforcement officer and left alone for questioning.

My questions are: (In the state of Texas)

Doesn't someone (majestrate/parent etc...) need to be present with my son?

Could it be considered that my son was in "custody"...not feeling he had the right to leave the office?

Should he have been read his "Miranda" rights?

And last.... can written statement made before the principke be used in a court of law against him?

Your help, referal to specific laws and advise are appreciated.

Sandy in Texas
My god, I hope your child spells better than you do.

As for your questions, his rights were not violated based on the facts in your post.

Read
In re S.K., 436 Pa.Super. 370,647 A.2d 952, 955n.3 (1994).
Washington v. McKinnon, 88 Wash.2d 75, 558 P.2d 781 (1977)

And finally:

In the Matter of V.P., ___ S.W.3d ___, No. 03-00-00422-CV, 2001 WL 578518, 2001 Tex.App.Lexis ___ (Tex.App.--Austin 5/31/01)[Texas Juvenile Law (5th Ed. 2001)]

Sandyintexas

Thanks Belize

Actually....my spelling isn't a concern for me in this forum. I am seeking answers/help. (Would you believe I make my living writing?)

I appreciate your referral to Washington v. McKinnon, 88 Wash.2d 75, 558 P.2d 781 (1977), however this does not apply in my son's case. School officials were not acting on behave of police officials (they have admitted).

Our ISD police are certified law enforcement members (Texas) and hold the powers and are bound by the same responsibilities, rule/regualtions and procedures as any other (city or state) officer would be.

But thanks anyway.
Sandy

Sandyintexas

Did I read....

Yes.

Maybe I am not making this clear enough.

"In regard to Miranda rights, Pennsylvania law makes it clear that Miranda rights do not attach, and warnings are not required, when school authorities detain and question a student about conduct that violates school rules. In re S.K., 436 Pa.Super. 370,647 A.2d 952, 955n.3 (1994). "

My son talked to "school officials, the principle & counselor"...I understand the rules (laws) pertaining to that situation and am not refering to that incident.

I'm asking about the officers failure to have someone (school offical or parent) present when questioning a 10 yr. old. It is my understanding (could be wrong) that while at school the authorities act as custodian to the students and one of them should have been present during questioning.

Again, this is Texas, and laws may differ.

Thank you.

BelizeBreeze

Sandyintexas said:
Yes.

Maybe I am not making this clear enough.

"In regard to Miranda rights, Pennsylvania law makes it clear that Miranda rights do not attach, and warnings are not required, when school authorities detain and question a student about conduct that violates school rules. In re S.K., 436 Pa.Super. 370,647 A.2d 952, 955n.3 (1994). "

My son talked to "school officials, the principle & counselor"...I understand the rules (laws) pertaining to that situation and am not refering to that incident.

I'm asking about the officers failure to have someone (school offical or parent) present when questioning a 10 yr. old. It is my understanding (could be wrong) that while at school the authorities act as custodian to the students and one of them should have been present during questioning.

Again, this is Texas, and laws may differ.

Thank you.
Listen, quit playing games. I gave you a LINK to read. That was TEXAS case law. No wonder your kid is in trouble if you can follow simple directions.

O.k. Here is the spoonfed variety.

When working as security guards, the off-duty police officers still have peace officer status, and the police department emphasizes that the officers are not on campus to enforce school rules as a hall monitor would. When working as security guards:

Officers can issue citations to students observed committing a Class "C" misdemeanor. The officers also can issue citations if a teacher or an administrator observes a violation and wants the student cited, provided the teacher or administrator is willing to sign a complaint and testify in court.

Officers have the authority to arrest students if they believe there is probable cause to make an arrest. If the officer chooses to make an arrest, school administrators cannot debate or veto the action.

Officers are not in schools to enforce school policy or act as hall monitors, but are there to "maintain the peace and enforce state and local laws." Officers enforce statutes of the Texas Education Code that carry misdemeanor penalties, such as disruption of classes, trespassing on school grounds, or possession of a pager or other electronic communication device.

Officers have the authority to investigate if there are indications that a student has been physically or sexually abused either on or off school grounds.

Officers may be present and listen to an administrator question a student about any suspected violation of law without providing a Miranda warning, and use any information obtained in a criminal case as long as the officer does not participate in the questioning. However, if the officer questions a student about possible violations of criminal law, a Miranda warning is required.

Officers cannot randomly or selectively search student lockers at the will of a school administrator. The administrator must have "reasonable cause or suspicion" to believe that a locker contains contraband before conducting a search and may ask an officer to assist in the search. The standard of "reasonable cause or suspicion" is not as stringent as the probable cause an officer otherwise would need to have to conduct a locker search, and administrator must take full legal responsibility for the search even if assisted by an officer.

Officers are allowed to collect "intelligence information" on any possible criminal behavior while on duty as security guards.

Sandyintexas

Thnk you Belize

Thank you very much. You answered my question, albeit unknowingly.

"Officers may be present and listen to an administrator question a student about any suspected violation of law without providing a Miranda warning, and use any information obtained in a criminal case as long as the officer does not participate in the questioning. However, if the officer questions a student about possible violations of criminal law, a Miranda warning is required."

This actually pertains to my son's situation.

Sincerely,
Sandy

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.
Margaret Cho, weblog, 03-11-04

BelizeBreeze

Sandyintexas said:
Thank you very much. You answered my question, albeit unknowingly.

"Officers may be present and listen to an administrator question a student about any suspected violation of law without providing a Miranda warning, and use any information obtained in a criminal case as long as the officer does not participate in the questioning. However, if the officer questions a student about possible violations of criminal law, a Miranda warning is required."

This actually pertains to my son's situation.

Sincerely,
Sandy

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.
Margaret Cho, weblog, 03-11-04
Unknowingly? Geeez. Why do you think I bolded that section?

Sandyintexas

Belize...

Would you be kind enough to forward a link (or where you obtained this info)regarding:

Is this by any chance written in Texas laws of any kind?

Your time and help appreciated.
Sandy

I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow.
Woodrow Wilson (1856 - 1924)

BelizeBreeze

It was an opinion forwarded by the Texas Attorney General and based on a Texas Appeals court ruling. I don't have the link anymore since I have too much going on but if you search the TAG website you'll find it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">