• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TX Probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilyf1

My husband died in June of this year. I gave his truck to his ex. When she went to register it and get the title put in her name but couldn't because my husband's name is on it as the owner. What do I need to do to get the title put in my name so I can legally sign it over to her?

adjusterjack

Go to the DMV website and click on Title Manual on the right side of the page.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/title-check-look-before-you-buy

When the document opens go to Chapter 16. Read 16.1(a)(2) and (3). Then go to 16.4 Estates of Decedants and read the options. It's about 6 pages.

When you are familiar with the options go to the DMV office and ask "How do I transfer title on a vehicle I inherited?"

You'll be given forms and instructions.

Or, you can skip the homework and just go to the DMV office and ask the question. :giggle:

LdiJ

My husband died in June of this year. I gave his truck to his ex. When she went to register it and get the title put in her name but couldn't because my husband's name is on it as the owner. What do I need to do to get the title put in my name so I can legally sign it over to her?
You didn't tell us what state you are in, but you might want to get a consult with a local probate attorney. One way or another your husband's estate has to be probated, even if its part of a small estate proceeding, before any assets can be transferred to another party.

adjusterjack

One way or another your husband's estate has to be probated, even if its part of a small estate proceeding, before any assets can be transferred to another party.
That doesn't necessarily apply to a vehicle. There is a process in the link I provided that addresses transferring a vehicle title to an heir by affidavit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">