• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

U.S. Justice Department debt owed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

micltrnd

What is the name of your state? Florida
Hi,
I know this doesn't fall into the corporate bankruptcy category, however, I cannot locate a category that my situation does fall in. If you know where this should post, please let me know. If you know anything about my question, all responses are greatly appreciated.

I am currently in private collections for Part A Medicare overpayments made to my previous business of a Physical Therapy Clinic. The amount is almost 1/2 million dollars. Since I cannot pay it, the next step will be the private collections agency turning it over to the U.S. Justice Department.
1. How far can the Justice Department go towards collections?
2. In the state of Florida, houses are protected from assets if a fraud is committed, but I didn't create a fraud. Can the U.S. Justice Department take my house? Lein my house? Order a refinance and take my equity in my house? Or, is my house out of their realm of assets that they can take?
Thx for any input. I can't get an attorney to answer this question without first putting down $1,000.00's for a retainer.
Thanks,
Micltrnd

grasmicc

micltrnd said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
Hi,
I know this doesn't fall into the corporate bankruptcy category, however, I cannot locate a category that my situation does fall in. If you know where this should post, please let me know. If you know anything about my question, all responses are greatly appreciated.

I am currently in private collections for Part A Medicare overpayments made to my previous business of a Physical Therapy Clinic. The amount is almost 1/2 million dollars. Since I cannot pay it, the next step will be the private collections agency turning it over to the U.S. Justice Department.
1. How far can the Justice Department go towards collections?
2. In the state of Florida, houses are protected from assets if a fraud is committed, but I didn't create a fraud. Can the U.S. Justice Department take my house? Lein my house? Order a refinance and take my equity in my house? Or, is my house out of their realm of assets that they can take?
Thx for any input. I can't get an attorney to answer this question without first putting down $1,000.00's for a retainer.
Thanks,
Micltrnd

How did you end up with 500K in overpayments without any fraud involved?

You really need to see an attorney. Pay the 10K or whatever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">