• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UK to USA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Charmpson

Hi guys,

My partner and I are performers from the UK and we would like to move to America - specifically LA - to pursue work. I don't know if this will have any relevance, but as far as education goes, I have a Master's degree but my partner does not have a degree - however, she does have a National Diploma (equivalent to three A-levels). We were wondering if someone could give us a breakdown on what the process would be and any advice you could give us to assist the process including finding accommodation. From what we have read so far, accommodation is mostly only available to American citizens with a social security number and proof of income. We have heard how strict America is in terms of immigration and how difficult it is to obtain a working Visa or green card as performers.

We have also heard that the process can be simplified significantly by hiring a lawyer, so if anyone has any information on what that may cost and the likelihood of success, that would also be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

FlyingRon

You'd be well advised to get that attorney because, on the basis of what you are saying, I don't think there's a chance that you will be able to do what you want. We don't issue visas for people to move here to look for work.

You're certainly not getting a green card handed out to you. You're not likely to get a visa.

If you come here as a visitor with the intent of finding a way to stay, you will be committing immigration fraud. You will likely be turned around and barred from coming back. If you do manage to get in, you risk deportation and a lifetime bar.

The way it works is you find a sponsor who brings you in either as a specialized worker or as a cultural exchange. Note the last category requires you not only leave after a period of time (couple of years) but return to your home country for two years after that.

An immigration attorney can give you the basics in an initial consultation. You might get one fo those for under $200. Rates for actual legal work will run hundreds of dollars PER HOUR. It could easily run you around $4000 if there's an actual way to do what you want. You're also talking about upwards of $1000 in filing fees with the US government in addition to that.

By the way, the UK immigration department isn't much more friendly with this regard than the US.

FlyingRon

There are visas for artists.
Yes, but not for immigration and not for people "looking for work." If they are recognized artists who can find a program to sponsor them in the US they can come for a limited period. But just because you graduated with an art diploma doesn't give you an automatic pass to come here.

LdiJ

In the long run, if you establish yourselves as performers in the UK first, you would have a greater chance of being sponsored to come into the US to perform. Performers do it all the time, but they get themselves established in their own country first.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Yes, but not for immigration and not for people "looking for work." If they are recognized artists who can find a program to sponsor them in the US they can come for a limited period. But just because you graduated with an art diploma doesn't give you an automatic pass to come here.
Sort of like, just because you have an engineering degree, doesn't mean that you'll automatically get an H1B visa - you need an employer with a job offer sponsoring you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">