• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UM or collision?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rowan602

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Hi all! My friend's minivan was hit yesterday while her husband was inside the store. there's about $600 worth of damage to the front bumper on the passenger side. Whoever it was that hit them did not leave a note or anything, just left. Would this be covered by uninsured motorist coverage, or collision? She has a $500 deductible for her collision, which would pretty much just make it pointless to file a claim. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rowan:confused:

ecmst12

It might be able to be filed under UM(I would think probably so), but your friend would have to check with her insurance to be sure.

moburkes

IF your friend has UMPD coverage, and the deductible is lower, then use that. Otherwise, they need to use collision. Most people, however, do not purchase UMPD and collision coverage, because they both cover damage to your vehicle due to an accident.

Rowan602

strange thing...

When she goes to her policy declarations page online (she has printed it out), it says that she has uninsured motorist for property damage and also for bodily injury. However, the claims adjustor she spoke with this morning told her that she didn't have UM coverage at ALL. So she's going to take them her declarations page and see what happens I guess. Her UM ded is $0, according to her declarations page. Thanks for the responses! It helped her quite a bit.

moburkes

Ummm. Generally UMPD is not available if you also purchase collision. Is there a PREMIUM listed next to the coverage? If so, then she probably does have it. If not, then the online dec may have simply printed incorrectly.

I

ISUE4YOU2

You need to look at your paper declarations, not what is online. If you have collision coverage, you do not have umpd coverage. If you have collision deductible waiver, it would only apply if the other vehicle can be identified (by a license plate number) and it was not insured. YOUR COLLISION DEDUCTIBLE WILL APPLY IN THIS LOSS.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">