• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Umemployment Benefit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peterlee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi, I am a receiver for second UI benefits. I've been very active to look for a job. Unfortunately I never have any interview opportunites since this year. One of my old friends, who works in a local internationl trading business in my hometown overseas, told me that his company has some international business opportunites and asked me if I could go there and discuss with his boss. I really want to go there and see if I can do some business with them. But in the mean time, I am afraid that since I am still a receiver of UI benefits, if I go there, whether or not it will affect my UI benefits. I just want to take 10 days for the trip. Please help. Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ShyCat

10 days for a job interview? Sounds more like a vacation with a job interview squeezed in there somewhere.

If you're not available for work, you won't get UI benefits.

peterlee

Thank you.

Thank you for your advice. However, it is overseas trip and also see if there are other working opportunity. 10 days overseas trip still sounds too long?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For the trip? No.

To expect to collect UI during those ten days? Yep, sure does.

peterlee

Thank you, CBG

In case, I have to collect all the proof for the overseas job hunting in the 10 days if I am asked by. I can still collect UI benefit, it is for job hunting trip overseas.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Better let the UI office say that. Don't forget, job hunting is not the only criteria to collect; being available for work if offered is also required. I'm not sure they'll consider you available for work if you have to jump on a plane overseas if someone offers you a job starting tomorrow.

pattytx

Agree with cbg. I find it hard to believe an employer would require you go overseas for a mere interview without even doing a phone interview first.

peterlee

Thank you all.

Thank you for your good advice, to avoid claim trouble, I use alternative way for the discussion or delay until my benefit is over.

peterlee

Alternative Way

I think it is the best that I do not collect UI benefit for the week I am away from U.S. You agree ?

fer

Why not have someone present this question to the State of California for you? Just ask the basic question.
Do I qualify for UI benefits if my job interview is a 10 day trip overseas. Am I considered available for work during those 10 days away?

I would be glad to send an email to get the answer for you. I'll do that today and let you know what I hear. This would be better than speculating.

Last edited:

fer

I just sent the following message to California EDD.

How does EED treat a situation where the employment interview requires 10 days away, overseas? Would one be ELIGIBLE for UI benefits during those 10 days with respect to the eligibility requirement of being AVAILABLE for work?

I should have an answer within a day and I will forward that to you verbatim. It will be up to you to confirm everything for yourself directly with the EDD however, as I am NOT a representative, just a citizen posing a question to a public service office. Better still, you can pose the question directly. Go to the State of California's EDD website. Drill down to the "filing a claim" page and email your question directly. That would be the best way.

No need to forego benefits if you don't have to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">