• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unable to attend court date for contempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ForJam

What is the name of your state? Washington and Maine

After many years of my son living with me, my son moved in with my ex and I was then ordered to pay child support to my ex for my 17 year old son in the state of Maine. I subsequently relocated to Washington state over a year ago but I haven’t found a job yet so I am in arrears on my child support. I fully intend to get caught up as soon as possible... I’m actively looking for work.

My ex has just served me with a motion for contempt back in Maine. How does this work? Im not able to go back to Maine for my court date. I reached out to my ex to explain the situation and ask that he drop the motion but he refused, stating that they will issue a bench warrant if I don’t appear. I have no idea what to do...

LdiJ

Except that the OP is unemployed despite actively looking for work. Paying a retainer to an attorney is probably not feasible.

ForJam, you need to contact that the courts in Maine and see if its possible for you to attend court telephonically. Some areas do allow that. It won't mean that you won't ultimately be held in contempt for not paying child support, but it would forestall a bench warrant for your arrest if its possible.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I would also be giving thought to who I could borrow the money from to pay off the arrears. How are you currently supporting yourself?

"I subsequently relocated to Washington state over a year ago but I haven’t found a job yet"
What sort of work do you do that's making it so difficult?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">