• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unable to Obtain MN Re-issued State ID due to Fall 2018 Federal Law Impacting Past FL 2015 DUI Offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wax

Minnesota
I'm unable to Obtain MN Re-issued State ID in Fall 2019, due to recent 2018 Federal Law which Out of State [Florida] past DUI impacts the current National database.
After losing my MN Driver's License during recent move, I've been unable to obtain a new license, because of recent 2018 Fed Law which Nationalized State Records, impacting one's ability to obtain a re-issued driver's license.
The State of Florida had already cleared me, I have obtained an updated driver's license in 2016, which I recently lost.
Years later the State of Florida claims that I failed to complete one minor aspect probation: the basic chemical evaluation in 2015, which seems to be preventing me from obtaining a re-issued copy of my license as I discovered at the license bureau when attempting to do so in 2019.
If my DUI occurred in 2015, why would the Fall 2018 new Federal Law, which has made all State Offenses impact Nationwide, impact my ability to obtain a new or re-issued MN Driver's License currently?
It's preventing me from obtaining current employment: employers require 2 forms of IDs before I'm able to move forward.
I've paid heavily for that past 2015 FL DUI Offense. I was unable to drive for a year and unable to work. It was horrific situation, being immobile in hostile territory: a small Hateful Southern Redneck town [Panhandle, NW FL] that disliked, distrusted outsiders.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Minnesota
I'm unable to Obtain MN Re-issued State ID in Fall 2019, due to recent 2018 Federal Law which Out of State [Florida] past DUI impacts the current National database.
After losing my MN Driver's License during recent move, I've been unable to obtain a new license, because of recent 2018 Fed Law which Nationalized State Records, impacting one's ability to obtain a re-issued driver's license.
The State of Florida had already cleared me, I have obtained an updated driver's license in 2016, which I recently lost.
Years later the State of Florida claims that I failed to complete one minor aspect probation: the basic chemical evaluation in 2015, which seems to be preventing me from obtaining a re-issued copy of my license as I discovered at the license bureau when attempting to do so in 2019.
If my DUI occurred in 2015, why would the Fall 2018 new Federal Law, which has made all State Offenses impact Nationwide, impact my ability to obtain a new or re-issued MN Driver's License currently?
It's preventing me from obtaining current employment: employers require 2 forms of IDs before I'm able to move forward.
I've paid heavily for that past 2015 FL DUI Offense. I was unable to drive for a year and unable to work. It was horrific situation, being immobile in hostile territory: a small Hateful Southern Redneck town [Panhandle, NW FL] that disliked, distrusted outsiders.
Because now the states are required to communicate , and apparently you *weren't* completely cleared by FL.

Get your FL problem straightened out, and you will be fine in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

xylene

You need to get cleared in FL

You can get a passport, you can get an ID card , there are options

ALSO: Please understand, if your driving privileged is revoked or otherwise administratively suspended, it does not matter if you have the card or not.
Do not drive until you get this sorted.

FlyingRon

As others point out, while it is not instantaneous, the NDR will eventually cause you not to be able to renew or obtain licenses anywhere until you clear the ineligibility flag in the state that suspended you.

It should not affect state ID cards. I suspect the problem you have however is that Minnesota will NOT issue ID cards if you can't prove your identity (and you've lost the old license that will do that). You'll have to use another way of showing your identity:

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/IdentificationRequirements_English.pdf

GuyInNC

Regarding the question

It has been the case in many states for a decade or more that an issue with your driving privilege in any state recorded in the NDR will prevent you from getting a license. You will almost certainly need an attorney in Florida to help you through this. And be sure that this attorney thoroughly understands how the NDR system works (and its limitations).

"I" had an issue recorded 'against me' in a state that I had never visited in my entire life (same name and DOB as someone else). The only way for me to get my license was to literally get a valid ticket dismissed. It took a couple tries to find an attorney who knew how to help me. Fortunately it was not a serious issue (decades old defective headlights ticket).

FlyingRon

He's confusing things. The law changes in 2018 have nothing to do with this. The NDR has been in effect for a long time and has nothing to do with "impact of state offenses." It's purely to keep people from state hopping once they were suspended/revoked. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the reason for the suspension (which could be anything from unpaid tickets to being convicted of vehicular manslaughter).

The DLC applies to both of these states and has also been in effect for a long time which keeps you from dodging license sanctions for out of state DUI.

He's just making excuses. If he wants to drive, he's going to need to give Florida their pound of flesh. He just was lucky to slip through the cracks. If he wants to get a state ID, he'll need to prove he is who he is. In fact, he'd need to do this even if he wasn't under suspension since he lost his old physical license copy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">