• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unable to recover money on a judgement in favor of me. Very disappointed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cnplkart

What is the name of your state? TEXAS
I had placed an small claims against an contractor who had signed an contract with me for an pergola installation. he did a very bad job and did not even take an city permit to get it done. I followed up with him for six months and he was always stating will come and fix. Had paid around $10k for the whole job. Since could not wait any longer filed an small claims against him in denton county court. The judge ruled the judgement in favor of me after going through the trial and said I have options to recover my money as the defendant blatantly denied in the court stating he has no money to pay back.

I filed multiple options everytime paying $150 as court fees but there is no luck in recovering the money as the court constable office states that person is not doing business any more nor able to recover any personal assets. I need help without any more losses but want to get my money back. Appreciate the request to please help me out to recover as the law here sucks as fraudsters are roaming freely after taking the money and say have no funds to pay back. What is the point in an judgement in favor of me and still unable to recover my money here. Please respond back.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? TEXAS
I had placed an small claims against an contractor who had signed an contract with me for an pergola installation. he did a very bad job and did not even take an city permit to get it done. I followed up with him for six months and he was always stating will come and fix. Had paid around $10k for the whole job. Since could not wait any longer filed an small claims against him in denton county court. The judge ruled the judgement in favor of me after going through the trial and said I have options to recover my money as the defendant blatantly denied in the court stating he has no money to pay back.

I filed multiple options everytime paying $150 as court fees but there is no luck in recovering the money as the court constable office states that person is not doing business any more nor able to recover any personal assets. I need help without any more losses but want to get my money back. Appreciate the request to please help me out to recover as the law here sucks as fraudsters are roaming freely after taking the money and say have no funds to pay back. What is the point in an judgement in favor of me and still unable to recover my money here. Please respond back in person on...
I removed your email address from your post and asked that asked admin to edit it out. It is very unwise to put your email address out in public forums.

A larger percentage of small claims judgements are never collected. You can't get blood from a turnip.

adjusterjack

I assume that your pergola has been assembled and is standing.

Before you filed your lawsuit did you get another contractor to examine it and give you a price on making it right?

It would be nice if you could post a link to photos showing what the "bad job" looks like. I might be able to give you some hints on what it would take to make it right.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You face a tough problem. You have to find assets or income of the guy that are not exempt from attachment. Like a bank account, accounts receivable, etc. Unfortunately in Texas wage garnishments are not permitted, so if he has a job you can't hit the wages to collect. If he has no attachable assets then at least for now you are stuck with no way to collect that judgment yourself.

If you haven't tried contacting your state's consumer protection agency that might provide a way to get your money. If the state leans on him to make it good that might motivate him to cough up what he owes, or at least as much of it as he can.

For the future, when hiring contractors verify they have the necessary licenses and check to make sure they are bonded & insured (and keep a copy of the bond & insurance info). That way if something goes wrong you have some recourse on the bond or insurance. Also, don't ever pay them the full contract price up front. Pay them as the work progresses, and always hold out some of it to the end to ensure they keep coming back to do the job and do right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">