• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized driver of my car caused accident (cars damaged/injuries) then fled scene

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
While I lived out of the country I left my antique car with a "friend" who was authorized to drive it (only he) short distance once a month or so to keep it in running condition. I had only liability insurance, he told me he was insured as a driver and added the car to his own policy for full coverage. This "friend" let someone else drive my car who then caused a rear-ending accident injuring people in the other car, damaging their car, and practically totaling mine. While they waited for police and ambulance and tow truck, driver fled the scene by jumping in another car. Police were quite negligent in the police report activities, and did not arrest my friend under stolen car concerns but drove him home. "Friend" provided invalid telephone number for driver and no other information. Police did zero follow-up on felony hit and run driver. Private investigator cannot find anyone that meets name/description of driver. "Friend" has refused help and now disappeared. My insurance refused claim as I was not driving. Now I am being sued by injured people. Am I liable in any way?
I also want to know if I can sue my ex-"friend" for the lost value of my car and 1-year storage expenses.
Thanks!

justalayman

and did not arrest my friend under stolen car concerns but drove him home.
why would they arrest him? The car was not stolen. He had your permission to drive it even.

I also want to know if I can sue my ex-"friend" for the lost value of my car and 1-year storage expenses.
storage expenses; no and why would you even consider this as a possibility?

The driver is who your claim is against. I would include the friend well but he may be able to escape liability here.

My insurance refused claim as I was not driving.
unless your policy was written so that it precluded anybody else from driving the car, I don't see where they can deny coverage for the damages to the other car and occupants.

Am I liable in any way?
there is a possibility you could be

did anybody actually see this other person your friend claimed to be driving your car?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">