• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized drug test = privacy invasion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hhenke

Living in NJ, applying for term life insurance in NY:

I recently applied for an insurance and was told blood would be tested. I explicitly requested to be informed BEFORE about ALL information taken from my blood, and was supplied with an information sheet. I just received the results of my test and was surprised to find that I was tested for cocaine use (result: negative). The test had not been stated on the requested information sheet that was supplied to me. I have a major problem with this, but need to know if I have legal recourse (invasion of privacy issue?).

All help appreciated.

Sincerely,
H.W. Henke, Ph.D.

F

familygg

Ask the NY Insurance Department, BUT of course insurance companies who take bllod look for more than blood type and LDL/HDL and they test for cocaine as it is a MAJOR risk factor, and I am surprised anyone would not know that. That's not an invasion of privacy, just essential underwriting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">