• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unbelievable negligence/incompetance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr Otto

What is the name of your state? Tennessee.

Hello all,

I’ll be as brief and to the point as I can. I gave a 2 month notice to leave my former apartment (April). Because of how unprofessional, negligent, and incompetent they are, i had to document everything.

Fast forward to the issue. My lease officially expired on 6-11-24, and I had forgotten that and paid for the entire month. I immediately contacted the office for an adjustment. 3 calls a day, daily office visits, calling as high up as I possibly could to absolutely no avail. I came in very very frusterated and turned my keys in. They said, “Well you never gave your 30 day notice..”. As stated above, I most definitely did and in 3 different ways. I still have the date and letter that was handed to them. They insisted I had not and said you’ll be responsible for next month’s rent and I said absolutely not. Handed them my keys with a witness and left.

A top this week, I figured I should make sure they closed my account and didn’t charge anything. It’s the 15th of the month and they charged base rent, late fees, month to month fees AND legal fees for an eviction process that they started. I immediately contacted them and they said I did not turn the keys in! Again, I had a witness with me. I took pictures of the moved out apartment and documented everything.

My question: I already know they can’t get a dime of what they charged, nor can they actually evict me, I just want to know how much I can get in court for the wrongful eviction notice and gross incompetence of the office. A group of 5th graders could run a more sound operation. I’ve never seen anything like this. Sorry, tried to keep it as brief as possible.

Mr. Otto.

Your post is full of emotion, but but a bit scarce on facts.

When did you give your 30-day notice? How did you give your notice? Did you hand it to the manager? Send it via USPS? Did you send it return receipt or certified mail? What date did you indicate would be your last day?

Did you simply let your lease expire? If so, did your lease include language that it auto-renews unless notice is given in writing X days before expiration?

Did you do a walk-through of the apartment with the manager? Did you and the management sign off on any documentation indicating the walk-through and key handoff was completed?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I’ll be as brief and to the point as I can. I gave a 2 month notice to leave my former apartment (April). Because of how unprofessional, negligent, and incompetent they are, i had to document everything.
By "document" you mean that you sent them a letter plus followed whatever procedures were outlined in your lease?

What do you have in writing for subsequent communications?

Did you make sure to reference previous communications in your written communications? "As stated in my letter dated xxx, I will be ending my tenancy yyyy."

It's not that I'm unsympathetic; I've had experiences with bad apartment management.

commentator

And I have had experience with civil court in your state. Trust me, if you're "flustrated" now, you'll be more so the more time you waste on this matter. You are not going to teach anybody a lesson, service and efficiency will not improve, and you are wasting a lot of your time and thoughts tilting at a windmill in a court system that doesn't have time and doesn't care.

FarmerJ

If you can prove to a court that you gave proper notice to a court then the court would decide the issue, SO if you had a written lease did you give notice according to the terms spelled out in the lease in order to end the tenancy ? If you did and you over paid then your free to go to the court and sue the LL for refund of your over payment. If you did not follow the terms of the lease when it came to giving notice and vacating them Your options will be different. BTW if you were on a year to year lease and your lease did not allow you to terminate it early then you broke your lease. If you rent and your landlord is ignoring repair phone calls or filled out request then you can put it all in a letter and keep a copy and send it via confirmed mail delivery or certified mail in order to create a paper trail.

zddoodah

My lease officially expired on 6-11-24, and I had forgotten that and paid for the entire month.
I assume this is the "unbelievable negligence/incompetence" to which you referred in the subject header of your post. Correct?

nor can they actually evict me
You've already moved out right? If so, this goes without saying.

I just want to know how much I can get in court for the wrongful eviction notice and gross incompetence of the office.
Nothing. You can, however, sue to recover the excess that you paid and, if applicable, your security deposit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">