• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unbuildable wetland purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Honigschmidt

We had purchased property California off the northern coast that was said to be buildable by the sellers, and the planning and building departments in THE LOCAL TOWN before the purchase, and the real estate agent.

After we had bought the land we were going through the permits and needed a Geology report. One was done and it was found none of the land was buildable and under a wetland delineation, and in current violation of the clean water act due to an old cement foundation put there by a previous owner.

None of this was made known to us at the time of purchase, and everyone we had contacted said there would be no problem with getting a home on the property. The land was 46k plus fees. This was half our life savings sadly.

Can anyone give me any advice on what we can do to recover these costs, or appeal the wetland to be buildable, or even what options we have with the land?

Last edited by a moderator:

xylene

You needed to get the wetland delineation done before you signed a purchase contract.

"I was told" is the source of so much heartache.

What do you have in writing?

You need a lawyer and I'm pretty sure I can see the issue from space. No really. You may actuall wish to edit your post's specific location. I fact I have reported your post

We had purchased property in CALIFORNIA that was said to be buildable by the sellers, and the planning and building departments in THE LOCAL TOWN before the purchase, and the real estate agent.

After we had bought the land we were going through the permits and needed a Geology report. One was done and it was found none of the land was buildable and under a wetland delineation, and in current violation of the clean water act due to an old cement foundation put there by a previous owner.

None of this was made known to us at the time of purchase, and everyone we had contacted said there would be no problem with getting a home on the property. The land was 46k plus fees. This was half our life savings sadly.

Can anyone give me any advice on what we can do to recover these costs, or appeal the wetland to be buildable, or even what options we have with the land?

Honigschmidt

You needed to get the wetland delineation done before you signed a purchase contract.

"I was told" is the source of so much heartache.

What do you have in writing?

You need a lawyer and I'm pretty sure I can see the issue from space. No really. You may actuall wish to edit your post's specific location. I fact I have reported your post
Edited to take out the city name. Thanks.

Honigschmidt

From all the research I have been doing, it looks like so many others have had this happen, and not many have had a happy ending to this. Some have even been stuck with their land for decades as no one wants to buy non buildable wetland.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">