• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uncashed pay checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RSHuff

Hi, I live in SC and my daughter lived in Michigan. She passed away in January, 2019 with no will, descendants. I have applied to the county probate court to be her personal representative. I'm still waiting for a response.

In the meantime, we found two uncashed pay checks on hers among her items. I've contacted the employer three times to confirm that the checks are still uncashed and they said they would call me back but never have.

So, once I get authorization to be my daughter's personal representative to handle all of her matters, will I be able to cash her pay checks and put them into an estate checking account I would set up to pay other expenses? I just hate the thought of her working so hard and not getting paid for those hours because they won't get back to me.

Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hi, I live in SC and my daughter lived in Michigan. She passed away in January, 2019 with no will, descendants. I have applied to the county probate court to be her personal representative. I'm still waiting for a response.

In the meantime, we found two uncashed pay checks on hers among her items. I've contacted the employer three times to confirm that the checks are still uncashed and they said they would call me back but never have.

So, once I get authorization to be my daughter's personal representative to handle all of her matters, will I be able to cash her pay checks and put them into an estate checking account I would set up to pay other expenses? I just hate the thought of her working so hard and not getting paid for those hours because they won't get back to me.

Thank you.
Did she deposit them remotely? Are they signed on the back?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You may have to work with the employer to have the paychecks reissued to "The Estate of..."

(I'm sorry for your loss)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">