• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uncle wont let Niece in the house after Grandfather passed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cherylwatt123

My Neighbor needs advice. She I will call her E and her family were living with and taking care of her Grandfather until he passed last week. They live in a converted garage on the same property as the Grandfather. They have lived on this property for many years. A month before the Grandfather died one of his other children I will call him A came to stay with him in the main house. The Grandfather passed away last week and now the son A won’t let E or her husband and children in the main house and told them they have to leave. He is keeping their mail and said he was going to turn off the Electric. He has hired someone to stay up all night and watch the house. E was the one taking care of the Grandfather. E and many other people think A might have done something to the Grandfather in the first place. The police were called but because it is a civil matter he just told E not to go in the main house. E has 2 children and her husband works full time they have maintained the property up until the Grandfather passed. What can they do. This is in California.

Dandy Don

They should start looking for another place to live as soon as they are served with an eviction notice, and not before then. The niece has no legal standing to have access to the house. If the man is interfering with the delivery of, or withholding, personal mail that belongs to someone else, then a complaint needs to be made at the local post office to get that matter resolved.

You don't know whether the grandfather left a last will and testament to leave his property to his family or not.

If there is not a will that explains how he wanted his property distributed, then his wife and/or children are the people who are next in line to inherit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">