• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uncontested divorce with a child custody problems.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean Duckwotrth

Hello. I am from New York. I want to get a divorce from my spouse but she ain't giving me a consent. We have a child, and she is telling me that i will not see him if iI'm gonna divorce her. I've read that battles over childs custody are complex, and as far as i know most of the child custody cases are won by women. And I am really dont know what to do in such a situation. Also I'm on a tight budget now, and i cannot afford those huge prices for the attorney's work, that can be even pointless in such a situation. Maybe someone help me up with a solution?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hello. I am from New York. I want to get a divorce from my spouse but she ain't giving me a consent. We have a child, and she is telling me that i will not see him if iI'm gonna divorce her. I've read that battles over childs custody are complex, and as far as i know most of the child custody cases are won by women. And I am really dont know what to do in such a situation. Also I'm on a tight budget now, and i cannot afford those huge prices for the attorney's work, that can be even pointless in such a situation. Maybe someone help me up with a solution?
Educate yourself. Read the local rules, custody statutes, and learn how to represent yourself. Most won by women? That is not actually the reason mothers get custody... why do you think you need consent to get a divorce?

xylene

Why do you want to divorce your spouse you have children with?

Specifically. It matters.

xylene

NY has provided for no fault divorce for nearly a decade
It matters in the settlement CS/custody/visitation, which you have to have for a NY divorce to be final, even a so called no fault divorce in New York, especially if only one party even want a divorce.

Sorry, why someone with limited means wants a divorce is quite consequential, it isn't a non-issue just because the law allows for 'irretrievably broken' as grounds.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You have a contested divorce.

An uncontested divorce is when you can agree upon a divorce settlement without going to court.

It is pretty clear from what you have posted that your wife is not going to agree to a reasonable parenting plan. If you want to maintain a relationship with your child, and she wants to erase you from his life, I am not seeing you coming to an agreement very easily. You will have to have a contested divorce because you are contesting the issue of custody and visitation. This means going to court. If possible, retain lawyer. If your wife retains a lawyer, that could actually be good - the lawyer might talk some sense into her, and it might be possible to mediate an agreement without having to go to trial. Or the lawyer might have the same difficulty that you are having, and it will then have to go to trial.

It is possible to do all this pro se (without a lawyer), but that requires a lot of research on your part. Actually, even if you have a lawyer, do some research - the less the lawyer has to do, the less you pay.

Look up parenting plans. Determine what you would ideally like, what's the bare minimum you could stand, and think of what would sound reasonable to an unbiased outsider. Does you wife have any reason to want to limit your parenting time, other than spite? Do you drink or use drugs? Are there any indicated reports from CPS against you? Why does she think that you are a danger to the child?

Lecka

Hi, I have just read your article. What I also found is that sole custody is generally not granted without serious consideration by the judge, so if domestic violence, child abduction, etc, is not the case, your wife can't just forbid seeing the kid. Your divorce is not goint to be uncontested...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Hi, I have just read your article. What I also found is that sole custody is generally not granted without serious consideration by the judge, so if domestic violence, child abduction, etc, is not the case, your wife can't just forbid seeing the kid. Your divorce is not goint to be uncontested...
Presumably, you understand that LasVegas is not in New York.

Lecka

Presumably, you understand that LasVegas is not in New York.
Yes, I understand that. I'm very interested in this subject because some mothers manipulate forbidding visiting the child.
Unfortunately I can't imagine solving this situation without an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">