• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Under what circumstances can visitation be revoked?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TxMsLady

What is the name of your state? TX

I posted a question regarding child support the other night and I really appreciate the responses that my husband and I received. We would like to ask one more, and that is : Under what circumstances can visitation be revoked? I can surely understand that it probably would if the child was in physical danger, but what about mental/emotional abuse? It's a shame that some people play their children as pawns, but my husband's ex does just that with his 12 yr. old daughter....and it's to the point that she needs psychiatric counseling and possibly meds for depression. She crys uncontrollably, isolates herself, thinks everyone, including us, hates her, won't eat, ect....like I said, she's depressed. This has been happening off and on over the course of 5 yrs., (usually when she comes back from visiting), but it has worsened. I won't go into much detail, unless I need to, but having worked in the Mental Health field for over 10 yrs, I see adults and children alike coming in requiring services, namely because they had their mental state of mind jerked around when they were young. I just hate for my step daughter to have to go through any more emotional trauma. We've never talked bad about her mother and have always encouraged her to have a relationship with her, but this has gotten out of hand. We would appreciate any advice regarding what constitutes the right to revoke visitation. Thank you so much.

V

velbing

under what circumstances

Supervised visits would most likely be ordered rather than a complete revokation of visitation. It is even difficult to get a judge to order supervised visitation, especially since a lot of the behavior you described could be attributed to the child's age. You will need substatial proof that she is being emotionally/mentally abused. Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">