• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Possession- Champaign, IL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tlc852

I was recently down at my college in Champaign Urbana for an event called Greek Reunion. At this event there is a large block party on a public street outside the local bars. On that street people are being sold alcohol in plastic Miller bottles and are drinking. Police are lined on either side of the street carding and arresting who they choose. I was one of those people.
I am twenty years old and was charged 260.00 for possesion of alcohol, 19-20. As I was leaving I set a full beer down and walked away. Police followed me, and wrote me a ticket. police said I looked old enough but since my bottle was glass they grabbed me. I asked if it was worth it to show up in court and they said that it was pointless because they always go and they saw me put the beer down. They then took my picture and I was on my way.
My question is this. If I go to court, what are my chances the judge will dismiss the case being I was setting the beer down. Someone handed me the beer and since I was leaving and didn't want it I set it down. The officers did not see me drink the beer. I know it is possession and not consumption but I want to say I was not drinking and was only setting down a beer someone had handed me that I didn't want to drink. Please let me know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">