• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

underage possession of alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisa.maie

In December, I was charged with Minor in possession of alcohol (3-3-23). I live in the state of Georgia. I was wondering if I should get court appointed lawyer and what the most likely outcome is. I was not driving, I was down town coming out of a bar with what was left of my drink and cop saw me. He told me about an open container law, which I had not known about. He gave me a citation for an open container too.I was 18 at the time but am now 19. I am a student in college and can not have a record nor go to jail nor do I have the money to pay for an attorney. What should I do?

quincy

In December, I was charged with Minor in possession of alcohol (3-3-23). I live in the state of Georgia. I was wondering if I should get court appointed lawyer and what the most likely outcome is. I was not driving, I was down town coming out of a bar with what was left of my drink and cop saw me. He told me about an open container law, which I had not known about. He gave me a citation for an open container too.I was 18 at the time but am now 19. I am a student in college and can not have a record nor go to jail nor do I have the money to pay for an attorney. What should I do?
You will want an attorney.

Were you also carrying a fake ID?

What you are facing if convicted of the charges are fines and possible jail time and a criminal record. The criminal record can affect you in your ability to get a job and loans. Your school can take disciplinary action against you. And it is possible that your driver's license will be suspended even if you were a pedestrian when stopped.

The good news is that, as a first offender, you can be eligible for a diversion program or a conditional discharge.

Both the diversion program and the conditional discharge will require you complete certain terms or conditions to the satisfaction of the court during a probationary period. There will be community service hours to complete and Drug/alcohol classes to take and fees to pay. Any additional violation of the law during the period of probation means you will have a guilty plea entered (this for diversion) or you will be prosecuted (with a conviction likely).

Because jail time for MIPs/open container offenses is generally not ordered, you will probably have to locate your own attorney. Some attorneys in college towns offer payment plans or low flat rates. I suggest you try to find someone who will loan you money for an attorney (e.g., family, friends).

See O.C.G.A. section 3-3-23 and O.C.G.A. section 3-3-23.1:

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2016/title-3/chapter-3/article-2/section-3-3-23/
https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2016/title-3/chapter-3/article-2/section-3-3-23.1

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">