• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

undercover officer uses your moniker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sfv*socal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Calif. Is it common police policy to use someone's moniker while conducting undercover sales? Such activity endangering the life of the one whose moniker they used.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Calif. Is it common police policy to use someone's moniker while conducting undercover sales? Such activity endangering the life of the one whose moniker they used.
Huh? :confused:

CdwJava

There is no law preventing the police form using someone else's handle in a drug deal. If the person associated with the moniker is in danger, it is because of the nature of the business he is in.

Should some harm come to him, then he might have a claim for damages against the agency involved if he can show that the use of his unique moniker knowingly put him at risk.

Is it common practice? No. Does such deception happen? Yeah.

Isis1

Are you aware of how many "shorty's", "ghosts", and "killers" are running around dealing drugs?

commentator

I have heard of many cases where undercover officers used, "I'm a friend of.... (street name)" but anyone who's out there doing business saying "I'm ... (street name)" is pretty stupid anyhow, because what happens if the other party happens to know the real person they're claiming to be? So I am very suspicious whether this is actually happening. How would you ever prove they used your trademark name? Who's going to verify this for you? And truly, as has been mentioned, there are many unoriginal names out there, no trademarks or rights involved. It appears to be one of the general inherent hazards of the business.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">