• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underground Spring not disclosed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

ttexan

What is the name of your state? Alabama

In July 2003, I purchased a new home from a builder in a subdivision. I recently found out from neighbors that there was an underground spring on the property that was discovered during construction. Evidently, the spring water ran continiously down the street for a period of months during construction. The builder somehow "fixed" the spring by draining it either into the sewer or into some kind of storm drainage. Neither the builder or his agent have ever mentioned this to me. I am concerned that this underground spring may eventually lead to structural problems with the house and structures around the house such as the driveway, sidewalk, retaining walls, etc. Also, will I be required to disclose this information at such time as I might sell the house?

HomeGuru

ttexan said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama

In July 2003, I purchased a new home from a builder in a subdivision. I recently found out from neighbors that there was an underground spring on the property that was discovered during construction. Evidently, the spring water ran continiously down the street for a period of months during construction. The builder somehow "fixed" the spring by draining it either into the sewer or into some kind of storm drainage. Neither the builder or his agent have ever mentioned this to me. I am concerned that this underground spring may eventually lead to structural problems with the house and structures around the house such as the driveway, sidewalk, retaining walls, etc.

**A: you have valid concerns. Hire a civil engineer.

Also, will I be required to disclose this information at such time as I might sell the house?

**A: yes.

T

ttexan

Thanks for the reply. It seems to me that the builder and the subdivision developer should be the ones to hire the civil engineer or at least furnish proof that the spring was properly drained and that there would be no long term (or short term) impact to the structure. Hiring a consultant (civil engineer) would be expensive and I don't think it should be my responsibility since neither the builder or the developer (the developer's agents represent the builders) gave any indication of the pre-existing condition.

HomeGuru

ttexan said:
Thanks for the reply. It seems to me that the builder and the subdivision developer should be the ones to hire the civil engineer or at least furnish proof that the spring was properly drained and that there would be no long term (or short term) impact to the structure. Hiring a consultant (civil engineer) would be expensive and I don't think it should be my responsibility since neither the builder or the developer (the developer's agents represent the builders) gave any indication of the pre-existing condition.
**A: ok, stick to your guns and watch nothing happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">