• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Understanding Jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itsbob826

I have a small claims case I would like to pursue. I live in California, he lives in Washington, and the "contract" was made over the internet. Where the heck to do I file this? Thanks folks!

adjusterjack

Generally you would have to sue him where he is located.

However, provide more details about the deal and we'll see if anything changes.

quincy

I have a small claims case I would like to pursue. I live in California, he lives in Washington, and the "contract" was made over the internet. Where the heck to do I file this? Thanks folks!
Washington, for a small claims action.

Litigator22

On the dim chance that it would be of interest to you . . . .

The only means whereby a California court would have jurisdiction over the non resident sufficient to warrant a personal judgment that would be entitled to "full faith and credit" by a sister state is if:

1. The defendant were to be served with process within the state of California; or

2. The defendant submitted himself to the court' jurisdiction either by consenting thereto or asking specific relief from the court; or

3. The contract in question represents not an isolated or one-time transaction, but is characteristic of the defendant engaging in similar business activities within the state of such a continuous nature as to warrant the assumption that he has "purposefully availed himself of the benefits and protections of the state's laws". (See: California's "Long Arm Statute" Code of Civil Procedure Section 410.10 and Bridgestone Corp. v. Superior Court (2002) 99 Cal.App.4th 767.

quincy

A California court could have personal jurisdiction over the out-of-state defendant if the defendant is a property owner in California, as well.

That said, the cost of a small claims action can escalate quickly if the out-of-state defendant challenges jurisdiction (which seems likely).

It is less complicated (and in the long run probably cheaper) to start off the suit in a Washington court that has without question both subject matter jurisdiction and personal jurisdiction over the defendant.

Last edited:

Litigator22

A California court could have personal jurisdiction over the our-of-state defendant if the defendant is a property owner in California, as well.
Question:

Assuming that the Washington resident does own property in California - but that the subject matter of the contract does not pertain to the ownership, use or possession of that property - is it your belief that a California court could exercise effective jurisdiction over the person of the Washington resident and adjudicate the merits of the OP's claim solely because of that property ownership?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">