• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Understanding legal terms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aguilera

What is the name of your state?
Florida

I have a client who received a letter from her attorney offering to settle a claim against a hospital. The confidential release of all claims includes a paragraph that reads: "Releasor agrees to escrow through their attorneys, suficient sums for any and all medical bills(under Fla. Stst.&409.9101 and/or 42 U>S>C> $411.24), for medicare, medicaid, or any other liens as may exist), from this settlement sufficient to satisfy any and all medical bills or liens for the care of (Client's name) subject to negotiation of same with any liens holders. Releasor and releasor's attorney(by their joinder in this Escrow Agreement) agree to escrow one hundred(100%) percent of all monies paid or payable by Medicare or Medicaid or any other third party payor, and said monies shall remain in escrow until paid out with acknoledgment by release of any such liens by said third party payors."
My client asked me to explain this to her in order to know if she should accept the money or not, she is affraid to lose her Medicare/ Medicaid benefits as a result of this money. Please, help me understand what the attorneys are saying with this paragraph because otherwisw I won't be able to help my client. Thank You for your attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">