• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

understanding Texas Law for Maternity leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grandma123

What is the name of your state? Texas
Please don't answer with Family Medical Leave. I understand that Texas uses the standard Federal Family and Medical Leave act; but that doesn't cover everybody.
What does a pregnant women get if she only works for a company in Texas (large company) for about 4 - 6 months before having a child? Any time off at all?
I thought that it was guarnateed 6 weeks no matter what....even if it is without pay....
I am not seeing any literature to explain what happens in this situation.
Do they guarnatee a job upon return? thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She gets whatever the company chooses to give her. Texas has no state maternity leave law. 6 weeks unpaid is common, but not legally mandated. There is no legal job protection outside of FMLA.

The only caveat is that if the employer has more than 15 employees, she is entitled to whatever time a similarly situated employee employee who has a non-maternity condition would get. If an employee in a similar job who has been there a similar length of time and who has a broken leg would get two weeks, she gets two weeks. If an employee in a similar job who has been there a similar length of time and who has pneumonia would get eight weeks, she gets eight week. She is entitled to no more and no less than they would get.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Texas
Please don't answer with Family Medical Leave. I understand that Texas uses the standard Federal Family and Medical Leave act; but that doesn't cover everybody.
What does a pregnant women get if she only works for a company in Texas (large company) for about 4 - 6 months before having a child? Any time off at all?
I thought that it was guarnateed 6 weeks no matter what....even if it is without pay....
I am not seeing any literature to explain what happens in this situation.
Do they guarnatee a job upon return? thanks!
Why not? It's the answer.

ecmst12

If a woman who does not qualify for FMLA gets pregnant, she gets to ASK her employer how much, if any, they are willing to let her take off, and hope that they don't say NONE. Because NONE is a legal answer - they are not required to provide any job-protected leave (paid or unpaid) if FMLA does not apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">