• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemmployment Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pluna

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

HELP. This is somewhat a different question. Possibly not a legal issue but I need advice on how to proceed.

I resigned from my job and have filed for unemployment benefits. When a person resigns from their job, they cannot receive benefits from The Texas Workforce Commission (TWC). The reason I left my job was because they relocated and my work responsibilities changed. I was told by the TWC that my benefits were denied because I worked for 9 months after the company moved.
I did resign because of the drive. It was killing me. My request is going into appeal and I don't want to say the wrong thing. Two things: 1. I really need this money while I look for another job. 2. I was an outstanding employee and did everything I could to handle the commute. I could have left as soon as the company moved but I could not leave without trying to make the drive.

I worked for this company for 11 years. The company did not disqualify me, but TWC makes the final decision. Has anyone had any experience in dealing with a similar situation. I want to be prepared to respond when this goes to appeal. I am looking for work and have some excellent leads. All of the overtime I worked did not give me anytime to look for another job.

THANKS. Pat

Beth3

There isn't any magic legal argument for you to make at the UC hearing. This is a very clear-cut matter in any State's UC laws. All you can do is state the facts and why you resigned and the administrative law judge will make a ruling on your eligibility.

I have to tell you though, don't count on receiving benefits. We don't know whether you would have been granted UC benefits had you declined to start working at the new location when the company moved but having done so for nine months, you cannot now claim that quitting due to the commuting distance constitutes "good cause" to resign and still be eligible for UC benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">