• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployed questions please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OscarRendon

Good afternoon, I am currently located in florida and need some guidance please. I worked for AT&T for about 6 years until may of 2009, i resigned because i had opened an I.T firm with another person in Dec of 2008. however we had a disagreement in october and i was removed from the partnership. i appplied for unemployment, and since i was not making any income from the last job which was the I.T firm, the unemployment was done through AT&T which was dinied becuase i had resigned. my questions is if theres any other benefits i can apply for, i havent been able to find a job... any help is appreciatted.. thank you

pattytx

Check with your county welfare office. You might be eligible for food stamps through the county and utility assistance (and maybe even rent) through other agencies they can refer you to, such as the Salvation Army or Catholic Charities.

Good luck, been there myself.

commentator

Agree, it's a terrible place to be. However, unemployment is for people who are laid off from "covered employers," not for people who just need it. It's not an income based or needs based program. I would, if I were you, sign up for every type of temporary employment agency around, don't be shy, sign up everywhere! Then march right on out and file for food stamps, medicaid, every form of assistance you can think of. After all, you have been a tax paying gainfully employed citizen for many years, you need help now, get all you can get! Be sure and ask at each place you go if they have any suggestions of other places you can go to look for work, get help...You don't mention your age, but there are some older worker programs that may be of help if you qualify.

Apply for school bus driver jobs part time if you have a good license. There is usually a great demand for these. Apply for janitor work at your church. Tell everyone you can think of that you need a job, any job! When you see people working, ask how they got their jobs, how you would apply to get on where they are. Talk to your friends and relatives about jobs where they work.

Have yard sales,sell anything and everything you can that you have of value. And above all, look hard for a job, any job. I'm sure you're used to having a pretty good job, and you've had some good ones. These have given you good skills and you'll eventually have a good job again. But apply for everything, including greeter at the big box stores. Good luck to you, I know this is a rough thing.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">