• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment after termination for medical leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cyn07

What is the name of your state? MN
I was terminated after using all my medical leave and not being released by the docto. I had been on unpaid medical leave for 2 years. When I spoke to someone on the phone about about umemployment they said yes I would qualify. When I asked how benefits worked they said it was based on my pay of the previous year. I was employed but on unpaid leave. When I explained that they said they I was not eliagable since they had nothing to base my benefits on. I thought they went back to when I was last paid. Can anyone help me with this? I had been employed for 17 years at the same place. I am able to work so am not disabled.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I can't tell you whether or not you will qualify for benefits under the circumstances you have described.

What I can tell you is that it costs nothing to apply; that there is no penalty for being wrong and that the worst that can happen is that they will say no. If that happens, you're no worse off than if you didn't apply in the first place. And who knows, they may grant benefits anyway.

moburkes

Since this was under the wrongful termination category, I'll chime in. Your termination was not wrongful. The ONLY job protection that you legally have is 12 weeks of FMLA. Once that expires, you have no additional job protection. 2 years is a very generous unpaid leave.

pattytx

And because you double posted, you got an answer from me in the other thread regarding UI benefits. Please keep all your questions together in the same thread. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">