• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment and move

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

torimac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I have lived in California for a few years and worked here. My company is having layoffs next month. I have only a few months of savings. If I do not find a job within those few months, I will need to move. If I move to another state, will I need to file unemployment in that new state or CA?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since you will have no wages reported or paid to the new state, you would continue to file in California.

torimac

I am not sure of where I will be moving to, I have a few options. But I have a child to support, so I need to be realistic on my options. If I can't find permanent work or a long term contract within six months, then I will need to accept help from my family, most of who live in another state.

Last edited:

commentator

You will need to file your CA claim the first week you are not working. Regardless of severance, whether you have savings to live on, when you receive your last paycheck, etc. You file the first week you work and earn less than you could draw, regardless of when you will be paid for it. Your claim will be a California claim, because we assume that you worked during the last 18 months all in California.

Once you begin drawing benefits, if you then move to Georgia, for example, you will, as soon as you get a good address in Georgia, call California unemployment back, or you can look on the state website for the Georgia Interstate Claims unit and they will tell you how to proceed. You will need to be able to give them your new address. The CA interstate claims unit will send you certifications to keep doing weekly or bi weekly, you will be instructed to register for work at the Career Center or Job Service office in the state where you now live.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">